Skip to content

Bad Day

August 1, 2013

As great a day as Tuesday was, Wednesday was at least that awful. It started out well enough, with a drive to Cape Cod and a free tour of the Cape Cod Potato Chip Factory in Hyannis. We watched them make potato chips from start to finish, and then we ate free samples which were so fresh and delicious that I didn’t even feel guilty about eating potato chips. Much later in the day, we even visited and went inside the Nauset Lighthouse, which is the actual lighthouse in the potato chip logo. I’d share pictures, but everything else we did all day sucked so badly that I’m just too tired to bother.

A brief rundown:

1) After the factory we headed to Sunken Meadow Beach, which might be awesome during high tide but we got there during low tide, and there was no water. Literally. Boats were sitting on sand. Sam insisted on staying. We fought.

2) By the time we left the beach I had gotten a parking ticket.

3) Then we went to Nauset Light Beach, which is right next to the lighthouse. The parking lot was full so we had to wait a half hour for people to leave. Also, the beach looks like a nice, sandy beach but just beneath the water it is very rocky and the strong waves not only pulled us off our feet but pelted us with rocks so hard that my foot was bleeding. Sam insisted on staying. We fought.

4) Then the lighthouse. Fun. Pretty. Scenic. Improved moods.

5) Then we drove 40 minutes to the very end of Cape Cod to climb to the top of Pilgrim’s Tower for fantastic views in every direction. We got there at 6:29. Sam insisted on staying in the car for a few minutes to do something on his phone. Then we walked in and were told that the latest they let anyone start climbing the stairs is 6:30. It was 6:33. I pleaded, but to no avail. And now we were at the furthest possible point, 1.5 hours from our crappy motel, for nothing. That’s when I really lost it.

6) We were also hoping to see a Cape Cod Baseball League game. Because of everything else, we’d be very late to the game, at best. And we still hadn’t eaten dinner.

7) We tried to salvage the day by going to the ballgame anyway. We got there in the 5th inning, and the home team (the Harwich Mariners) were already losing 8-0. An inning later it was 11-0. We still hadn’t eaten dinner. Sam wanted to move our seats so he could chase foul balls. We fought again, and we left.

8) We didn’t get to our crappy motel until 10. We were still covered in sand. We never had dinner.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: